2 to 3 medium to large zucchini, cut into ¼ to ½ inch vertical slices
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage meat, crumbled and browned
8 oz. ricotta
¼ cup fresh parsley, shredded
8 oz. shredded* cheese- choose from or blend: mozzarella,
provelone, pecorino, or fontina
3 to 4 tablespoons of shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Smear or spray the bottom of a 13”x9” baking dish with a small amount of olive oil.
- Add the first layer of zucchini slices covering the bottom of the pan, slightly overlapping where necessary.
- Spread a thin layer of ricotta cheese atop the zucchini slices in the baking dish.
- Press a spare layer of crumbled browned sausage into the ricotta.
- Sprinkle lightly with parsley.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese/s.
- Repeat with another layer of zucchini, etc. You will need at least three or four layers depending on the depth of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top layer with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 25 to 40 minutes. Test the doneness with a toothpick. Timing will vary based on thickness of the zucchini slices. Fully cooked slices will yield gently to the toothpick, though they should remain slightly firm, not mushy. The Parmesan cheese top should be golden brown and bubbled.
- Serve while hot.
*Shredded cheese pieces are larger and melt a bit slower that the finely grated, commercially available cheeses.