SPRING HAS SPRUNG
Despite the cold, blustery weather out there as this is written, we did officially welcome Spring this week. There were a few sightings of crocuses popping through the snow which is a sure sign that warmer weather is on the way. It will be interesting to see what blooms when, given the ups and downs we've had in temperatures this winter. Over the next several weeks, we'll see what Mother Nature has in store for us. Any guesses?
Looking forward, we have 3 markets in April - 8th, 15th and 29th. We wanted to be sure we didn't have a 3 week gap, and also that we had products available to you around the Easter holiday. If you want something special for the holidays, give us a heads up.
- Oliva Cafe will be participating in the market this week. We've missed them!
- Belle Alpaca is back with us after a long absence due to illness. Delighted Sal is better and participating again.
- Maple View Farm is with us this market bringing eggs, carrots, beets, potatoes and onions.
- Troy Brook Bakery is participating again this week bringing sweet treats for both Winter and Spring. Warming comfort mini Apple Crostatas. Spring tastes - Lemon Strawberry Biscones and Mandarin Oranges Carrot Tea Loaves. Also bringing Sea Salt Chocolate Chunk Cookies and Lemon Candied Ginger Biscotti. Plus a few surprises.
- Bantam Bread, Plum Brook Chocolate and Savor cookies are all absent this week.
- Penfield Farm is in their lambing season, so they may or may not be at market.
- Guest vendor - Barefoot Books
- Non-profit - First Congregational Church
- Community - Dr. Rob Vanwyck - oral cancer screenings
Anna Gill's column is about breakfast - the role it plays in history, in nutrition and in our lives. She offers a wonderful Farro Porridge recipe we can't wait to try!
See you at the market Saturday INDOORS at the Litchfield Community Center, 421 Bantam Road, Litchfield, CT.
Sustainable Tip of the Week
Here are the recommendations we got for cookbooks about leftovers. We haven’t checked them out, so if you do, let us know what you think. (1) The Thrifty Cookbook: 476 ways to eat well with leftovers. (2) Use it Up and (3) Leftover Lovers Cookbook
This Week's Vendors
Belle Alpaca alpaca wool clothing
Berry Ledges Apiary honey products
Brookside Farm II maple syrup
Cato Corner Farm artisanal cow cheeses
Goatboy Soaps soaps, lotions, lip balm
Good Doggy Treats chicken breast dog treats
Laurel Ridge Farm grass fed beef, pork and lamb
Mapleview Farm organic produce and eggs
Oliva Cafe - dips, sauces, flatbreads
Penfield Farm grass fed emu, pork, lamb
Sugar Water Farm hydroponic greens and herbs
Troy Brook Bakery artisanal baked goods
Wave Hill Breads three grain pain de campagne, ciabatta, garlic bread
Z Farm chickens,turkeys, duck,eggs