In this heat, we were looking for what might be refreshing and we turned to watermelon. All by itself, it is tasty and refreshing. And it helps you stay hydrated - critically important in this weather. Our recipe this week features watermelon and cucumbers, another cooling vegetable.
Have you voted for your favorite farmers’ market yet? You have until September 19. We added 10 votes last week, but are still 7th in the state. We have more pride than this, don’t we? It's really easy to vote - just two steps. (1) click on markets.farmland.org. (2) Fill in zip code 06759 or Litchfield in the search bar and vote. Winning this not only gives us recognition but also prize money!
OF NOTE THIS WEEK
- Deeply Rooted will be at market going forward with strawberries. Raspberries are finished.
- Berry Ledges Apiary is back with us this week and for the remainder of the outdoor season.
- An Average Jill is on her week off..
- Chef Samantha Tilley of Mockingbird Kitchen and Bar will have tangy noodles and basil
chicken salad. She also will have bread, which you can order ahead.
- The Garlic Clove is with us again this week with his pasture raised pork, green garlic and garlic dry spices and seasonings, pickled garlic scapes and fire cider.
- Guest artist -Carnelian Knoll jewelry
- Guest artist – Marlene Matteau - hand painted upcycled items
- Guest nonprofit - Prospector Theater - offering information on their organization and bags of popcorn which they make and sell as a fundraiser for their nonprofit.
Our recipe this week is Watermelon Gazpacho. The recipe sounded wonderful, and it is! Also easy, as always.
We'll see you this Saturday at the market AT CENTER SCHOOL, and then each Saturday until we move indoors in October.
WHAT WILL BE AT MARKET
Berry Ledges Apiary - honey
Bolga baskets - market baskets
Brits Brands - scones and baked goods
Brookside Farm - maple syrup and maple sugar
Cato Corner Cheese - artisanal cheeses
Coffee, Tea, Etc. - locally roasted coffee
The Garlic Clove- pasture raised pork, green garlic, garlic dry spices and seasonings, pickled garlic scapes and fire cider.
Goat Boy Soaps - goat milk soap
Hart Herbs - herbs, herb plants, mini gardens, bedding plants, herbal soaps,
March Farms - fresh seasonal produce, baked goods, eggs
Mockingbird Kitchen and Bar - tangy noodles and basil chicken salad,
Vibrant Farm - field fresh produce, cut flowers
Wave Hill Bread - artisanal breads
We look forward to seeing you all at the market Stay well.
SUSTAINABLE TIP OF THE WEEK
NATIONAL FARMERS' MARKET WEEK!
This is the week we celebrate farmers' markets across the country, so please pay special attention to thanking our farmers for participating in our market. It is a LOT of work - growing, harvesting, packing to get to market, selling at market. We need them to know how much we appreciate them.
Get our weekly email:
Follow us on:
Anna Gill has retired from writing her weekly column but may make a few guest appearances. We will continue to provide a recipe each week featuring products available at the market.
We are a proud program of Partners for Sustainable Healthy Communities, a public charity that promotes sustainable agriculture, local food, and active, healthy lifestyles across Northwest CT.