20-25 fat ripe plum tomatoes (plums are best for this because they are meatier)
½ to 1 cup good green olive oil
2 large cloves crushed garlic
1 fully packed cup shredded basil
3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
½ cup pignoli nuts, optional
salt & pepper
freshly grated cheese
1 lb linguini
1 large lemon
1. Boil 8 - 10 quarts of salted water in a large pasta pot. Blanch the tomatoes for 1 to 3 minutes to loosen the skin. Remove the tomatoes from water, place under cool running water. Reduce the level of heat under the water and cover temporarily.
2. Peel and core the tomatoes, chop them very coarsely and place in large mixing bowl. (I place the whole peeled tomatoes in a bowl and cut with a pair of kitchen shears.)
3. Add oil, basil, garlic, ginger, and pignoli nuts if desired to tomatoes. Mix.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze fresh lemon into mixture. Mix well.
5. Turn up the heat under the water until it reaches a good rolling boil a second time. When boiling, place linguini into water and separate. Cook according to pasta used. Drain the pasta.
6. Mix a medium amount of the sauce with the pasta. Let sit minute. Add enough sauce to cover and flavor the pasta. Taste. If not moist enough, add more olive oil.
7. Serve with additional sauce and freshly grated cheese.