1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups tomato juice
2½ cups chicken stock or broth
1½ cups Aborio rice
2 medium shallots, minced
1 cup dry white wine
1 lb. assorted Sungold and read pear tomatoes halved or quartered if large
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup shredded basil
2 tablespoons freshly grated Romano cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375o.
2. On a baking sheet, toss the onion with 1 teaspoon of the oil; spread out on the sheet. Roast for about 20 minutes, stirring until lightly browned.
3. In a medium non reactive saucepan, bring the tomato juice and the chicken broth to a boil over moderately high heat; keep warm.
4. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large non reactive saucepan.
5. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring until translucent, about 2 minutes.
6. Add the rice and cook, stirring , for 1 minute.
7. Add the wine and cook, stirring, constantly, until almost all of the broth s absorbed, about 7 minutes.
8. Add 1 cup of the hot tomato broth to the rice and simmer over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until most of the broth is absorbed.
9. Add 1 more cup of broth and stir until it is absorbed, stirring constantly.
10. Continue adding 1 cup at a time and stirring constantly, until all the broth has been added and absorbed. The rice is done when it is chewy and lightly bound with creamy cooking liquid, about 25 minutes.
11. Stir in tomatoes and roasted onions until heated through. Season the risotto with salt and pepper, garnish with basil and cheese. Serve at once.