1 prepared pie crust
8 ounces softened goat cheese , at room temperature
1 -8 oz. package unflavored gelatin softened in 1½ tablespoons of water
½ cup heavy cream
1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges and oven roasted & cooled
½ cup diced tomatoes
1½ teaspoon sugar
10 to 12 fresh basil leaves, save the smallest for garnishing
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
½ teaspoon of salt
16 pitted kalamata olives, divided into 8 & 8
8 to 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
Fresh salad greens and a good Italian bread, sliced
Equipment: spring-form baking pan
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Roll out the pie crust to about ⅔ to ¼ inch thick.
- Line the bottom of the spring form pan with the piecrust, with just a slightly raised edge around the perimeter. Pierce the dough with a fork at intervals. Bake in the heated oven for about 25 minutes, until golden.
- Remove piecrust to a rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the cheese, cream, dissolved gelatin, diced tomatoes, half of the onion wedges, sugar, white pepper, salt, half the basil leaves and half of the olives into a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the cheese mixture into the spring-form baking pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Let the cheesecake come to room temperature before serving.
- Carefully remove the cheesecake from the form, retaining the bottom and place it on the flat surface of a serving dish.
- Garnish the top of the cheesecake with the cherry tomatoes, the remaining olives, onion wedges and basil leaves.
- Serve with fresh salad greens and a good crusty Italian bread