1 lb. tagliatelle
2½ tablespoons sweet butter
1 small shallot, finely minced
1 tender small head Bibb or Cos lettuce, cut into ribbons
1¼ cup tender shelled peas
½ cup pea shoots
Freshly ground black pepper
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan and then add the shallots. When the shallots are soft, add the lettuce and the peas. Cover and cook very gently until the peas are soft. Be careful not to overcook the peas or they will lose their bright color. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Cook the tagliatelle in the boiling water. Reserve a ½ cup of the pasta water before draining the pasta thoroughly.
4. Place the tagliatelle in a serving bowl. Add the pea sauce. If necessary, add a little of the reserved pasta water if the pea sauce seems too dry.
5. Toss the pasta and sauce well. Sprinkle the pea shoots on top.
6. Serve with or without the grated cheese as desired.
Variations: Steam a stalk or two of asparagus or broccoli and toss it into the pea sauce