Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish
½ cup fine bulgur*
1 cup boiling-hot water
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
½ cup finely chopped fresh mint
2 medium, meaty tomatoes, cut into ¼ -inch pieces
½ seedless cucumber, peeled and diced into ¼ -inch pieces
½ medium red onion, minced
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
*Tabbouleh can be made with quinoa or cous cous as well. Just cook according to directions and proceed with the recipe.
1. In a heat-proof bowl, mix bulgur and I tablespoon of olive oil
2. Pour hot water over the mixture and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let stand for 15 minutes.
3. Drain mixture in a very fine sieve. Press on the mixture to remove moisture thoroughly.
4. Transfer bulgur to a serving bowl.
5. Add all the remaining ingredients and toss well.