2 medium or 1 large shallot, minced
6 tablespoons butter
4 cups simmering vegetable broth (must be well heated before using)
1½ cup Arborio rice
2 cups dry white wine
2 ½ cups strawberries, plus a ½ cup for garnish, washed and hulled
½ cup half and half
½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Salt and pepper
1. Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large wide sauté pan.
2. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add one cup of the wine and cook until it has evaporates. Then add the second cup repeating the process. All together about 5 minutes.
4. Add ½ cup of the hot broth to the rice mixture. Stir frequently until the liquid has been absorbed. Repeat the process a ½ cup at a time approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
5. While the rice is cooking, mash 2 ½ cups of the berries.
6. About half way through the broth and cooking process, add the mashed berries.
7. Test the rice, when done it should be tender but still have a bit of firmness.
8. Add the half and half, stirring until well blended and thickening.
9. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with last ½ cup of berries and sprinkle lightly with the Parmesan cheese.