Makes 1 -9 inch pie
Note: Both the crust and the assembled pie need sufficient chilling time
2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons melted butter
6 cups strawberries, washed, hulled and halved if large
1 cup sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into very small pieces
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, and mix well.
2. Firmly press the crumb mixture evenly into a 9-inch pie plate.
3. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before filling
Pie filling and assembly:
1. Puree 2 cups of the berries and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt over low heat.
3. Add water and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until thickened.
4. Add the pureed berries, lemon juice and butter and mix gently until butter bits are melted and the mixture is well blended. Set aside cool.
5. Place half the berries into the well chilled crust and spoon half the pureed mixture over it. Very gently shake the pie plate to distribute the ingredients.
6. Cover with the remaining berries and the remaining puree.
7. Refrigerate for four hours.
8. Serve with whipped cream.