5 to 6 ripe meaty tomatoes, Roma or plum tomatoes are best
1 small clove of garlic, mince or pressed
3 cups broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, green beans, snow peas, or sugar snaps.
¼ to ½ cup good green olive oil
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1½ cups basil leaves
2 cups halved Sungold tomatoes
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Bring about 3 to 4 quarts of salted water to a boil.
- Cut a small x in each of the red tomatoes with a sharp knife. Blanch them in boililng water to loosen the skin. Remove to a collander. Retain the hot water for the remaining vegetables.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the red tomatoes. Squeeze out as much of the juice and seeds as is readily possible. Coarsely chop the red tomatoes.
- Place peeled chopped tomatoes in an oven proof baking dish and stir in the garlic and 5 or 6 basil leaves and sprinkle in a little salt.
- Roast for about 35 to 40 minutes. Stir once or twice.
- Meanwhile, blanch 3 cups of green vegetable of your choice in the tomato water. They should remain firm to the bite. Drain well. Set aside.
- Place the spiralized zucchini in a large serving bowl. Add the roasted tomatoes, salt, freshly ground pepper and enough of the olive oil to lightly moisten the zucchini and meld the tomatoes into a sauce. Toss all lightly together.
- Add the blanched green vegetables. And cut or shred the remaining basil leaves over the entire bowl. Again, toss lightly and serve with the Parmesan cheese.