½ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
3½ pounds lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups chopped onions
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 cup water
1 cup dried apricots, quartered
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Mix first 4 ingredients in large plastic bag. Add lamb and toss to coat.
2. Heat vegetable oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and sauté until tender and golden, about 10 minutes.
3. Add lamb and sprinkle with salt. Sauté until brown, about 5 minutes.
4. Add minced ginger and stir 1 minute.
5. Add 1 cup water and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lamb is tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
6. Add apricots to pot and simmer uncovered until liquid is slightly thickened and reduced, about 10 minutes.
7. Stir in vinegar and sugar. Season to taste with salt. Divide stew among 4 bowls.