4-5 medium fennel bulbs (about 5 pounds), trimmed, feathery leaves reserved
3 navel oranges -2 sliced, peel, pith and seeds removed, 1 juiced
Juice of 1 small lemon
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon shredded cilantro
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tomato, peeled, seeded and diced
¼ cup black Galatea or Calamata olives
1. Halve the fennel bulbs lengthwise and remove the tough cores.
2. Slice the stalks crosswise into manageable sections.
3. Arrange the sliced fennel and the orange slices in a flat serving dish.
4. Add the citrus juices, olive oil, salt, cilantro and pepper to a blender or a small processor and puree until thoroughly combined.
5. Pour over the fennel and orange slices.
6. Sprinkle the olives and the reserved feathery fennel leaves on top and serve.