2 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 slices thick bacon, cut crosswise ¼ inch thick
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
2 small jalapeno chilies
24 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
Salt and freshly ground pepper
¼ cup dry white wine
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped mint
1. Sauté bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the fat has been rendered.
2. Spoon off all but 2 tablespoon of the fat from the skillet. Stir in the garlic and whole chilies and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add the wine and cook about 1 more minute.
4. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until they are pink and curled, about 3 minutes.
5. Stir in the mint. Transfer to plates and serve.