Recipe by Anna Gill
2 slices bacon, diced
3 large leeks, thinly sliced
¼ cup dry white wine
5 to 7 medium shitake mushrooms
3 large firm meaty tomatoes – more pulp than juice, diced and drained
24 jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
½ cup minced parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a large skillet on medium. Cook the bacon until crisp, but not beyond. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel, retaining the bacon drippings.
2. Extract all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings from the pan and set aside.
3. Maintaining a medium heat, add the leeks to the skillet and sauté until translucent.
4. Add the wine and reduce by half.
5. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they release their own moisture, about 5 minutes. Continue to cook until the mushroom’s moisture is reabsorbed by all the other ingredients.
6. Add the tomatoes and heat through.
7. Add the shrimp, covering them, to the extent possible, by the other ingredients. After a minute or 2, turn the shrimp and cook for another minute or 2.
8. Move the shrimp and vegetables to a serving dish. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
We post a new recipe (or two!) each week, and you can click on an item below to see all past recipes that feature that ingredient.
For more recipes from CT farmers' markets click here.
The NY Times also has a Recipe Generator to help you come up with great meals to make based on what you get at the market each week.