Serves: 6 to 8
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
6 plum tomatoes (1 ¼ pounds), diced
2 pounds shelled and deveined jumbo shrimp,
¼ cup chopped fresh dill or basil
6 to 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled, and at room temperature
Crusty bread, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400o.
2. In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering.
3. Add the onion, garlic and cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and red pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Moisten a large glass or ceramic baking pan with the fresh tomato sauce.
6. Add a layer of crumbled feta to the baking pan and either place in oven until the feta just starts to melt; or if your pan fits, into a microwave you can microwave it for 1 minute for the same results.
7. Add a single layer of shrimp to the feta baking pan.
8. Sprinkle with half the minced dill or basil and cover with the remaining feta.
9. Bake for approximately 5 minutes, until the shrimp is just white/pink.
10. Raising the oven shelf, place the baking dish under the broiler for about 1 minute.
11. Sprinkle with the remaining dill or basil.
12. Serve with crusty bread.