4 large firm ripe tomatoes, insides scooped out and reserved for another purpose
¾ lb. sweet Italian sausage
1 small shallot, minced
2 tablespoons shredded parsley, plus a few whole leaves for garnish
1 cup ricotta, divided
Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Brown sausage meat in large saucepan. Remove to a medium bowl with a slotted spoon. Set aside.
- Place the shallots in the same saucepan with sausage drippings and sauté shallots until translucent. Remove shallots to the sausage bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Mix ½ cup of the ricotta and 2 tablespoons of parsley into the sausage mixture and stir until blended.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tomato cups and place them in a casserole or baking dish.
- Put the tomatoes into the oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes depending on their size.
- Place the tomatoes on a serving dish. Spoon a dollop of the remaining ricotta on the top each tomato and garnish with a few parsley leaves. Serve.