Yield: 8 cups (12 Servings)
• 1/2 pound sausage (this used mild Italian chicken sausage)
• 2 celery ribs, chopped
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 7 cups seasoned stuffing cubes*
• 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 1 medium tart apple, chopped
• 1/3 cup chopped pecans
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted (reduced fat version works fine)
• Additional ground sage to taste
• Additional pepper to taste
*This recipe used homemade stuffing made with Wave Hill Bread.
1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
2. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the remaining ingredients.
3. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated lightly with oil. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through and apple is tender, stirring once.