6 to 8 red, yellow and purple roasted beets*, sliced ¼ inch thick
¾ cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 fresh mint sprigs plus 1 sprig for garnish
1 tablespoon softened butter
½ cup ricotta cheese
Salt & freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Butter a 1½ quart baking dish and set it aside.
3. Bring cream, mint sprigs to boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat. Cover and let the mixture steep for about 15 minutes.
4. Arrange sliced beets, alternating colors if possible, in an even layer in the dish. Sprinkle the beet layer lightly with shallots and salt, then dot with ricotta cheese.
5. Repeat until all beets have been used.
6. Strain cream and mint mixture over beets in dish.
7. Top with additional dollops of ricotta.
8. Bake until cream is bubbling at edges, about 20 minutes
9. Let sit 5 minutes. Garnish with mint sprig and serve.
*See basic Roasted Beet recipe included in this column.