Recipe by Anna Gill
½ cup olive oil
1 carrot diced
1 onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
3 fresh or canned plum tomatoes, peeled
2 potatoes, skin on, coarsely chopped
1 sprig of fresh thyme
7 ½ cups Tuscan kale, shredded
1 cup white cannellini beans (if dried, soak overnight in water and drain)
4 thick slices country bread
1. Heat oil in a large sauce pot.
2. Add carrot, onion and celery. Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, potatoes and thyme sprig and mix together. Cook gently for an additional 5 minutes.
4. Add the beans, kale and a little salt. Mix together.
5. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 2 hours.
6. Preheat oven to 350o.
7. Place bread slices in the bottom of a large casserole or oven-proof container. Ladle in the soup and cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
8. Season with pepper and serve.
We post a new recipe (or two!) each week, and you can click on an item below to see all past recipes that feature that ingredient.
For more recipes from CT farmers' markets click here.
The NY Times also has a Recipe Generator to help you come up with great meals to make based on what you get at the market each week.