½ cup olive oil
1 carrot diced
1 onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
3 fresh or canned plum tomatoes, peeled
2 potatoes, skin on, coarsely chopped
1 sprig of fresh thyme
7 ½ cups Tuscan kale, shredded
1 cup white cannellini beans (if dried, soak overnight in water and drain)
4 thick slices country bread
1. Heat oil in a large sauce pot.
2. Add carrot, onion and celery. Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, potatoes and thyme sprig and mix together. Cook gently for an additional 5 minutes.
4. Add the beans, kale and a little salt. Mix together.
5. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 2 hours.
6. Preheat oven to 350o.
7. Place bread slices in the bottom of a large casserole or oven-proof container. Ladle in the soup and cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
8. Season with pepper and serve.