Recipe by Anna Gill
Makes one 8 inch cake
1 cup sugar, sifted
1 cup cake flour, sifted
¼ teaspoon baking powder
3 egg whites, beaten with a fork
2 tablespoons melted butter
1¼ cups fresh de-stemmed red currants, plus three or four stems of berries for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350o.
2. Butter an 8 inch cake pan and set aside.
3. Sift pre-individually sifted sugar and flour together into a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the baking powder and mix.
5. Add the egg whites and the butter. Mix well.
6. Add the 1¼ cups red currants and stir gently. Gently pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Remove pan to a cooling rack.
8. When cool, turn the cake out onto a serving plate. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and decorate with the remaining currant berries.
We post a new recipe (or two!) each week, and you can click on an item below to see all past recipes that feature that ingredient.
For more recipes from CT farmers' markets click here.
The NY Times also has a Recipe Generator to help you come up with great meals to make based on what you get at the market each week.