Makes one 8 inch cake
1 cup sugar, sifted
1 cup cake flour, sifted
¼ teaspoon baking powder
3 egg whites, beaten with a fork
2 tablespoons melted butter
1¼ cups fresh de-stemmed red currants, plus three or four stems of berries for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350o.
2. Butter an 8 inch cake pan and set aside.
3. Sift pre-individually sifted sugar and flour together into a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the baking powder and mix.
5. Add the egg whites and the butter. Mix well.
6. Add the 1¼ cups red currants and stir gently. Gently pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Remove pan to a cooling rack.
8. When cool, turn the cake out onto a serving plate. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and decorate with the remaining currant berries.