½ cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
3 teaspoons granulated sugar
Pinch table salt
4 cups whole milk, at room temperature if possible
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
4 heaping tablespoons fresh whipped cream
¼ cup milk chocolate shavings
1. Place the cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan.
2. Add in ¼ cup of the milk and whisk constantly until the mixture is smooth and free of lumps.
3. Add the remaining milk and the vanilla. Whisk to combine.
4. Set the pan over medium to medium-high heat and cook, whisking frequently, until hot, 4 to 5 minutes. For best flavor, do not let the cocoa boil.
5. Pour the heated liquid into serving cups or mugs. Top with chocolate shavings and whipped cream before serving.