1 Spanish onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
½ cup dry white wine
3 cups roasted pumpkin, plus 2 cups in 1½ - 2 inch cubes
1 cup arborio rice
3 to 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth, hot
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
½ cup golden sultanas
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon fresh shredded sage, divided, plus leaves for garnish
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Coat the bottom of a large, deep skillet with olive oil over a medium flame.
2. Add half the butter.
3. When the butter has melted and the foamy bubbles have subsided, add the onions. Sauté the onions until they are soft and transparent.
4. Add the rice and stir until the grains are completely coated with the mixture of oil and butter. Continue to stir and cook over a medium heat for approximately 4 minutes.
5. Add the wine, stirring constantly.
6. When the rice has absorbed the liquid, add the 3 cups of roasted pumpkin to the rice and continue to stir while adding a cup of the hot broth.
7. Continue stirring. As the rice absorbs the liquid, but before the pan is dry, add another cup of hot broth, the salt, fresh pepper, sultanas, cinnamon, nutmeg and half the shredded sage.
8. Continue cooking and stirring. As each cup of liquid has been absorbed, add another until the rice grains are internally moist, but still with a slight firmness to the bite, al dente. About 25 minutes. Remove from the heat.
9. Add the remaining butter, shredded sage and the cheese stirring gently until blended.
10 Add the remaining 2 cups of chunked pumpkin. Mix lightly and remove to a serving bowl.
11. Garnish with the sage leaves and serve.
VARIATIONS: Toss in a handful of roasted or toasted pumpkin seeds at the end.