FOR THE ALL-BUTTER PIE CRUST (WITH VARIATIONS)
Yield: 1, 10 inch pie crust (can be doubled)
1¼cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, preferably a European-style butter
like Plugra, cut into ½-inch pieces and re-chilled
2 to 5 tablespoons ice cold vodka (it evaporates and makes crust flakier)
FOR THE PIE
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 All Butter Pie Crust dough disk (two recipes if making crust maple leaves)
1 (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin
¾ cup (packed) golden brown sugar
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
Pinch of ground cloves
3 large eggs
1¼ cups heavy whipping cream
FOR THE CRUST
1. In a food processor, briefly pulse together the flour and salt. Add butter and pulse until mixture forms chickpea-size pieces (3 to 5 one-second pulses).
2. Add vodka 1 tablespoon at a time, the fewer tablespoons the better. Pulse after adding each tablespoon until mixture is just moist enough to hold together.
3. Form dough into a ball, wrap with plastic and flatten into as wide a disk as you quickly can. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before rolling out and baking. If doubling the recipe for two crusts, be sure to divide dough into two balls and form two disks before chilling.
4. Prebaked Crust: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie crust to a 12-inch circle. Transfer crust to a 9-inch pie plate. Fold over any excess dough, then crimp edges. Prick crust all over with a fork. If you have time, freeze crust for 15 to 30 minutes; otherwise skip this step. Cover pie with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights (you can use pennies, rice or dried beans for this). Bake for 15 minutes; remove foil and weights and bake until pale golden, 5 to 7 minutes more. Cool on rack until needed.
FOR THE PIE
1. Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 375°F.
2. Spray 9-inch-diameter deep-dish glass pie dish lightly with nonstick spray.
3. Roll out dough on floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to prepared dish. Fold edges under and crimp, forming high border. Line crust with foil; fill with dried beans. Bake 15 minutes.
4. Remove foil and beans. Bake until edges are light golden, pressing crust with back of fork if bubbles form, about 7 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Reposition oven rack to center.
6. Puree pumpkin in processor. Mix in next 6 ingredients.
7. Add eggs 1 at a time, pulsing after each addition.
8. Gradually add cream, processing just until blended. Process 5 seconds longer.
9. Pour filling into warm crust. Bake until edges are puffed and center is set, about 30 to 45 minutes. Cool completely on rack.
ADVANCE PREP: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.