Pudding of Carrots
Recipe by John Evelyn 1699
Crust of Manchet-Bread
1/2 pint Fresh Cream or New Milk
1/2 lb Butter
6 Eggs (take out 3 whites)
1/2 lb Sugar
Pinch beaten Spice
- Pare off some of the Crust of Manchet-Bread, and grate of half as much of the rest as there is of the Root, which must also be grated
- Then take half a Pint of fresh Cream or New Milk, half a Pound of fresh Butter, six new laid Eggs (taking out three of the Whites) mash and mingle them well with the Cream and Butter
- Then put in the grated Bread and Carrot, with near half a Pound of Sugar; and a little Salt; some grated Nutmeg and beaten Spice.
- Pour all into a convenient Dish or Pan, butter'd, to keep the Ingredients from sticking and burning.
- Set it in a quick Oven for about an Hour, and so have you a Composition for any Root-Pudding.
Leave a Reply.
We post a new recipe (or two!) each week, and you can click on an item below to see all past recipes that feature that ingredient.
For more recipes from CT farmers' markets click here.
The NY Times also has a Recipe Generator to help you come up with great meals to make based on what you get at the market each week.