2 fennel bulbs, halved or quartered vertically, core in tact
2-3 tablespoons minced fennel fronds
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
Zest and juice (½ cup) of 1 small orange
¼ teaspoon sea salt
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup dry white wine
¼ cup chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 400o.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
3. Add garlic and sauté until golden.
4. Add fennel in a single layer and brown lightly.
5. Remove fennel to a plate.
6. Add wine, broth, juice, 1 tablespoon of the fronds and ½ the orange zest, bring to a simmer and reduce to half its volume.
7. Return fennel to the Dutch oven. Place in the heated oven for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the bulb, until it is tender to the fork.
8. Place fennel on a serving dish. Sprinkle with remaining orange zest and fronds. Serve.