Portuguese Kale and Red Bean Soup
Recipe by Kay Carroll, adapted from Eating Well magazine
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 10 ounces turkey Italian sausage, halved and sliced or crumbled
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1 cup chopped carrot
• 2 tablespoons miinced garlic
• 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth or stock
• 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, or fresh equivalent
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or thyme
• 1 pound boiling potatoes, cubed
• 1 pound , stems removed and chopped
• 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed (or dried and cooked equivalent)
• Salt and –pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a plate.
2. Add onion and carrot to the pot; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
4. Add broth (or stock), tomatoes with their juice and marjoram (or thyme). Cover and bring to a boil.
5. Add potatoes, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the reserved sausage, kale and beans. Return to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the potatoes are tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
7. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Leave a Reply.
We post a new recipe (or two!) each week, and you can click on an item below to see all past recipes that feature that ingredient.
For more recipes from CT farmers' markets click here.
The NY Times also has a Recipe Generator to help you come up with great meals to make based on what you get at the market each week.