4 to 5 large bell peppers, de-stemmed and clean of seeds
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced or pressed
1 onion*, finely diced
¾ to 1 lb. ground pork
1 cup diced mushrooms (button or shitake work well)
1 cup diced tomatoes
½ cup shredded cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375o.
- Spray a baking dish with oil. Add the peppers, opening down.
- Bake the peppers for about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan.
- Add the minced garlic and gently sauté for a minute.
- Add the onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the pork and cook while stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and mix gently. Cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stirring for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the pork mixture from the heat. Add the cilantro and mix well.
- Using a large spoon, fill each pepper with the stuffing mixture.
- Place baking dish into the oven and bake for about 10 minutes
*Shallots, leeks, garlicscapes and ramps are all happy variations depending on availability.