Makes approximately 2 quarts
5 cups white distilled or white malt vinegar
2 inch cinnamon stick
12 whole cloves
4 blades of mace
15 whole grains allspice
1 large head cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
¾ cup pickling or fine grain kosher salt
10 cups water
1. Place the vinegar in a ceramic or glass bowl over a saucepan of cold water. Cover the bowl with a plate and bring the water to a boil.
2. Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the spices and allow the vinegar to steep for about 2 hours.
3. Strain the flavored vinegar and put it in a glass container or bottle .
4. Make the brine by adding the salt to the cold water in a large bowl
5. Place the prepared cauliflower in brine bowl.
6. Place a plate on top of the cauliflower to keep it submerged in the brine.
7. Cover with a clean linen towel or cloth and put aside for 24 hours.
8. Drain the cauliflower thoroughly and pack it into clean jars.
9. Pour the spiced vinegar over the cauliflower, topping it off with ½ inch of spiced vinegar.
10. Seal the jars tightly.
11. Store in a cool dark place for 2 weeks before using.