6 yellow, orange and or red bell peppers *
1 large red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons good green olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for finish
8 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
¼ cup fresh basil, finely shredded
1. Cut peppers into approximately 1” by 1” pieces. (Don’t get carried away, nobody at the table is going to have a tape measure.)
2. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes.
3. Layer the cut peppers on top of the garlic and onion mixture.
4. Then add the tomatoes in another layer on top of the peppers. Cover tightly and cook over medium to low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until just soft.
5. Remove the cover and stir the mixture gently. Continue to cook uncovered for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until all the veggies are soft and the liquid is absorbed.
6. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the basil.