1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves plus 8 to 10 sprigs
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup cold water
One 11.5 ounce cans peach nectar
1 bottle chilled dry white wine, Sauvignon Blanc works well
2 large peaches, peeled and diced
1. Put basil leaves, sugar, and lemon juice into a small saucepan and bruise leaves by mashing with a wooden spoon.
2. Add nectar and water, bring just to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
3. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes, then pour through a medium-mesh sieve into a heatproof pitcher, discarding basil leaves. Cool completely.
4. Stir in wine, peach, and basil sprigs.
5. Chill, covered, at least 1 hour and up to 24.
6. Serve over ice.