9 ounces gingersnap cookies (about 32 - 34 cookies), coarsely broken
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon pulverized, crystalized ginger
Pinch of salt
4-5 large, ripe yet firm peaches, peeled and sliced into wedges
¼ cup whipped cream cheese
1/3 cup heavy cream
½ cup brown sugar
2 extra-large eggs, well beaten
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground allspice
Pinch ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
9 inch tart pan with removable bottom
1.Preheat oven to 325°F.
2.Finely grind gingersnap cookies in processor (yielding 1 ½ to 1 2/3 cups). Reserve 1 heaping tablespoon for garnish.
3.Add melted butter, pulverized ginger and salt; process until moistened.
4.Press crumb mixture firmly onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Get the crust as high around the sides of the tart pan as possible. Place pan on rimmed baking sheet.
5.Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set on a cooling rack.
For the filling:
- Raise the oven temperature to 350°.
- Arrange the sliced peaches in concentric circles in the cooled crust.
- Place cream cheese, cream and brown sugar in a processor and pulse until smooth.
- Add the beaten eggs and pulse until completely incorporated.
- Add the cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and vanilla, again pulsing until completely incorporated.
- Pour the mixture over the peaches and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the custard is set and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Sprinkle the reserved tablespoon of ground gingersnap over the top of the tart.
- Serve warm or room temperature with ice cream, whipped cream or on its own.