Recipe by Anna Gill
Serves: 3 or 4
½ cup chopped ham
2 medium tomatoes, sliced into ¼ inch wide wedges
½ cup zucchini, sliced in ¼ inch slices and quartered
2 tablespoons melted butter
¼ cup chives, finely chopped
8 large eggs
½ cup milk
Salt & pepper to taste – take care if ham is salty
¼ to ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
1 -9 inch or ceramic quiche dish or glass pie plate
1. Preheat to 375o.
2. Spread the melted butter around the dish.
3. Place tomatoes in a circular design in the dish. Likewise, place zucchini in dish. Sprinkle the ham around the dish, distributing it evenly. Place dish in the microwave at HIGH for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper and chives. Whip mixture with a whisk attachment in an electric mixer until well blended and a bit frothy. Pour egg mixture into dish slowly so as not to disarrange your design. Or just dump it in if you don’t care about the design.
5. Turn the temperature down to 350o. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Gently move the rack holding the dish out sufficiently for you to sprinkle cheese atop the half set mixture and return to the oven.*
7. Bake for another 15 to 25 minutes or until center is puffed up and set.
* If the cheese is put on too early it sinks to the bottom and stays there.
Asparagus for zucchini
Basil for chives
Parsley for chives
Monterey Jack for gruyere
Leave a Reply.
We post a new recipe (or two!) each week, and you can click on an item below to see all past recipes that feature that ingredient.
For more recipes from CT farmers' markets click here.
The NY Times also has a Recipe Generator to help you come up with great meals to make based on what you get at the market each week.