2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 cups sliced yellow onions
6 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
6 cups low-salt chicken broth
15 sprigs thyme, tied into a bundle
1½ cups cubed crust-less day-old bread
3 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked crisp, chopped or crumbled
½ cup minced chives
1. Pour the oil in a large wide pot or a Dutch oven and heat over a medium high burner.
2. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes until transparent.
3. Add the garlic and continue to cook and stir until the onions are golden brown and caramelized.
4. Add the chicken broth and the thyme bundle. Bring the whole to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and add the bread cubes. Allow the bread to be saturated with the soup and let stand for about 10 additional minutes.
6. Remove the thyme bundle and discard. Let the soup cool to room temperature.
7. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return the soup to the pot and bring to a low steady simmer. If it is too thick, you can add additional chicken broth.
8. Ladle into serving bowls. Top each bowl with bacon pieces and chives and serve.