3 lbs. of chicken bone in, skin on – whole or parts of your choice
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup chopped celery
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
Chicken broth/bouillon (optional)
1. Place the chicken in 12 cups of water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Let chicken boil for 10-15 minutes, periodically skimming the foam and particles that rise to the surface until most of the foam is gone.
2. While the chicken is boiling, in a Dutch oven (or similar heavy pan) heat the olive oil to medium high and add the onion, carrot and celery. Saute until the vegetables are tender – about 10 minutes.
3. Add the garlic to the vegetables, stir and sauté an additional 3 minutes. Turn the heat off.
4. Once the foam is gone in the boiling chicken pot, turn the heat off and remove the chicken from the pot. Remove the skin from the chicken and return the chicken to the pot.
5. Add the vegetables to the chicken pot.
6. Add peppercorns and salt (to taste).
7. Simmer covered over low heat until vegetables and chicken are done – about 60 minutes.
8. Taste the broth, and if not sufficient flavor add some chicken broth or a chicken boullion cube.
9. Remove the chicken and remove the meat from the bones, cutting into bite size pieces. Add the cubed chicken back to the soup.
NOTE: Add cooked noodles, rice, cubed potatoes or cannellini beans to this recipe if you want a heartier soup.