½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup milk (low or nonfat is fine)
¼ cup room temperature water
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons melted, unsalted butter
Plus additional butter for the pan
½ teaspoon salt
- Combine all the ingredients, except for the additional butter, in a large bowl, or a blender, or a food processor. Whip with a wire whisk, blend, or process until the batter is smooth and thin.
- If necessary, strain through a fine sieve.
- Let stand for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to two days.
- Heat a 6 to 10” non-stick pan and coat with a bit of unsalted butter.
- Pour a thin layer of batter into the pan, tilting as necessary to form a round crêpe.
- Cook until the batter is set, maybe a minute or two. You want the underside to be a speckled golden brown.
- Turn the crêpe over using a spatula (I frequently lend my fingers to the task) and cook the second side to a similar golden brown.
- Remove the crêpe to a large flat plate. By the time the second crêpe is done, the first will have cooled sufficiently for them not to stick together.
- Give the batter a quick whisk, and re-butter the pan as needed.
- Repeat the process until completed.
NOTE: Crepes may be sealed and frozen for up to a month.
1½ to 2 lbs. fresh mushrooms*, cleaned and chopped
¼ cup shallots, finely minced
1 tablespoon good green olive oil
¼ cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1¼ cup cream, room temperature
3 tablespoons parsley, shredded
*a mix of button, shitake, Portobello works best
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and distribute the olive oil on the surface.
- Add the shallots and sauté until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté, stirring frequently, until their liquid has been release and is being re-absorbed.
- Add the wine; continue stirring until reduced by half.
- Add the chicken broth. Blend well and reduce by half.
- Add the cream slowly while stirring occasionally. Lower the heat. Cook until the mixture is thoroughly blended and the consistency is a creamy sauce.
- Remove from heat. Add about half the parsley and mix.
- Place a single crêpe on a flat surface.
- Spoon a portion of the mushroom mixture onto each crêpe down the middle. Fold each side of the crêpe up and over itself. Reserve a little of the mushroom mixture for the garnish.
- Place the rolled crêpes into a baking dish large enough for six crêpes.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for about 10 to15 minutes, until heated through.
- Drizzle a small amount of the mushroom mixture over each and sprinkle with the remaining parsley. Serve hot.