Recipe by Anna Gill
3 to 5 large beets
3 oz. soft chévre
3 tablespoons crushed pistachios
8 to 10 Thai or purple basil leaves
2 tablespoons minced chives (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375º.
2. Wash the beets with a vegetable brush to remove tiny roots and soil. Dry them off and wrap them in foil with a little salt (see note).
3. Place the foil packet(s) on a baking sheet and roast for 45 to 60 minutes
4. Let the beets cool to room temperature.
5. Using the thin medical/kitchen rubber gloves, gently peel the skin off the roasted beets. Slice each beet into ¼ inch discs and place them on a plate.
6. Place the chévre in a small measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until the cheese is soft enough to pour.
7. Arrange the beet discs on a serving plate. Pour a stream of chévre over the beets.
8. Sprinkle the beets with the crushed pistachios and a bit of the chives.
9. Garnish with the Thai basil leaves and serve.
NOTE: When mixing colored varieties, I wrap them in foil separately to prevent colors bleeding onto one another.
Leave a Reply.
We post a new recipe (or two!) each week, and you can click on an item below to see all past recipes that feature that ingredient.
For more recipes from CT farmers' markets click here.
The NY Times also has a Recipe Generator to help you come up with great meals to make based on what you get at the market each week.