3 to 5 large beets
3 oz. soft chévre
3 tablespoons crushed pistachios
8 to 10 Thai or purple basil leaves
2 tablespoons minced chives (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375º.
2. Wash the beets with a vegetable brush to remove tiny roots and soil. Dry them off and wrap them in foil with a little salt (see note).
3. Place the foil packet(s) on a baking sheet and roast for 45 to 60 minutes
4. Let the beets cool to room temperature.
5. Using the thin medical/kitchen rubber gloves, gently peel the skin off the roasted beets. Slice each beet into ¼ inch discs and place them on a plate.
6. Place the chévre in a small measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until the cheese is soft enough to pour.
7. Arrange the beet discs on a serving plate. Pour a stream of chévre over the beets.
8. Sprinkle the beets with the crushed pistachios and a bit of the chives.
9. Garnish with the Thai basil leaves and serve.
NOTE: When mixing colored varieties, I wrap them in foil separately to prevent colors bleeding onto one another.