2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 pound sliced pancetta, sausage, or smoked sausage (optional)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 red pepper, seeded and chopped
2 bay leaves
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large red or yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup soft sun-dried or oven roasted tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups water
1 small bunch of kale or spinach, washed, dried, stgems removed and chopped
1 cup uncooked pasta - short cut
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas
Grated or shredded cheese - Pecorino Romano, Parmesan or a combination (optional)
1. Place a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat with the olive oil. Add the pancetta (if using) and cook until
crispy, 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the carrots, celery, pepper, bay leaves, garlic, onions and seasonings to the pot. Stir occasionally, cooking until the
vegetables are tender, 7-8 minutes.
3. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, stock and water to the pot and bring to a boil.
4. Add the kale, pasta and chickpeas to the soup pot and cook until the pasta is al dente.
5. Discard bay leaves. Add more salt and/or pepper to taste.
6. Ladle into shallow soup boles and top with cheese and/or croutons.