3 small cucumbers, washed (about 1 pound)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ pound linguine
½ cup loosely packed, freshly shredded fresh mint
1. Fill a stockpot with salted water, cover and bring to a boil.
2. Cut the cucumbers in length-wise slices about ¼ to ⅛ inch thick, then cut the slices into strips diagonally (so that most pieces have a bit of dark green on them).
3. In a large skillet, combine the butter, cucumbers and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium high heat, tossing frequently, until the cucumbers are tender but still slightly crisp, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
4. Add the linguine to the boiling water. Stir the pasta and bring the water back to a boil until it is cooked, tender but firm to the bite. Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water. Drain the pasta and dispose of the remaining cooking water.
5. Add the linguine to the cucumbers and toss over moderate heat to coat the strands with butter. Add some of the saved pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to moisten if necessary.
6. Remove from the heat, add the mint and toss. Serve immediately.