3 large eggplants, trimmed and cut lengthwise into slices ¼ to ⅓ inch thick.
Spray bottle of good green olive oil
1 cup plus good green olive oil
10 to 12 ounces of feta cheese, crumbled
⅓ cup of pignoli seeds (called nuts, but actually a seed)
½ cup golden Sultanas (golden raisins), soaked in hot water, then drained
3 tablespoons Panko crumbs
1 medium garlic clove, pressed
Zest of 1 large lemon
2 teaspoons of fresh, shredded mint
3 tablespoons of fresh, shredded basil
1 large egg, beaten
3 cups diced tomatoes, well drained
10 ounces of shredded mozzarella
Extra fresh basil and/or mint leaves for garnish
- Preheat your grill or broiler.
- Lightly spray both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil.
- Grill or broil the eggplant slices for about 3 to 4 minutes a side. Allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large bowl, combine feta, pine nuts, raisins, ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, Panko crumbs, garlic, lemon zest, mint and basil. Mix in egg, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange eggplant slices on a flat surface. Spoon the feta mixture, divided evenly, across the sliced eggplant and smooth it out over the top of each slice.
- Roll up slices tightly to secure filling, and place each roll in a 9 X 13 X 2 inch baking dish, fitting them snugly together.
- Spoon the tomatoes along the top of the eggplant rolls.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella across the top of the rolls and tomatoes.
- Place the baking dish into the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.