12 cups water
¾ cup sugar
½ cup mild honey
⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
Zest strips from 1 lemon removed with vegetable peeler
12 medium quinces (6 ounces each)--peeled, quartered and cored
¼ cup chopped pistachios
1 cup whole milk yogurt, for serving
1. In a large pot, combine the water with the sugar, honey, lemon juice and lemon zest and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.
2. Add the quinces and return to a boil. Cover partially and cook over low heat until tender, approximately 2 hours.
3. Remove the quinces to a bowl with a slotted spoon and tent with foil. Increase the heat to medium high and reduce the syrup to 4 cups of liquid, about 20 minutes.
4. Return the quinces to the syrup while it cools.
5. Serve the quinces at room temperature or chilled, with their syrup and the yogurt, sprinkled with pistachios.
ADVANCED PREP: The poached and honeyed quinces can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.