1 large tightly packed head of white cauliflower
Or 2 small heads of orange, green or purple cauliflower
¼ to ½ teaspoon saffron threads
2 tablespoons very hot water
4 tablespoons extra light olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
A small sealable jar
1. Prepare grill at a medium high heat.
2. Slice the cauliflower in large slab-like slices. For an average large white head, the end slices should be about 2 inches thick to keep the flower attached to the stem. The balance of the head can be cut into 1 to 1½ inch slices. The colored cauliflower is frequently larger. The trick is to keep a bit of the stem attached to the slice to hold it together. Set aside.
3. Place the saffron on a paper towel and carefully roll the saffron inside the paper towel to crumble it into as close to dust as you can manage.
4. Place the hot water in the jar.
5. Dissolve the saffron threads in the hot water by shaking vigorously.
6. Add the olive oil, salt and pepper to the jar. Shake again until all is well mixed.
7. Brush both sides of the cauliflower with the mixture.
8. Grill for 6 to 8 minutes per side. Brush several times with the remaining solution. Adjust timing for small heads and thinner slices.