Recipe by Anna Gill
For the dressing:
⅓ cup mayonnaise
⅓ cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons minced basil
2 tablespoons minced chives
Juice of ½ lemon
Freshly ground pepper
For the salad:
8 slices of thick bacon
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1½ lbs. Vidalia onions, cut into wedge shaped pieces and skewered on grilling skewers
2 large ripe peaches, cut into eighths and skinned
Crisp lettuce leaves
Good green olive oil for basting
1. Preheat the oven to 325°.
2. Prepare a grill.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the, buttermilk, basil, chives and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the bacon slices on the sheet and sprinkle with the brown sugar and cayenne.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes, until caramelized (the bacon will crisp as it cools). Let cool, then cut the bacon into bite-size pieces.
6. Brush the onions with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until softened and charred, 10 minutes.
7. Brush the peaches with olive oil and grill over moderately high heat until tender, 2 minutes.
8. In a medium bowl, toss the onions with the peaches and bacon. Add the buttermilk dressing and toss to coat.
9. Arrange the lettuce leaves on four plates. Top with the peach onion mixture and serve
We post a new recipe (or two!) each week, and you can click on an item below to see all past recipes that feature that ingredient.
For more recipes from CT farmers' markets click here.
The NY Times also has a Recipe Generator to help you come up with great meals to make based on what you get at the market each week.