1½ lb. green beans, trimmed and cut diagonally into 2 to 3 -inch pieces
3 slices bacon
3 tablespoons shallots, minced
1. Set a large pot of salted water on medium high heat to bring to a boil.
2. Meanwhile cook the bacon slices in a sauté pan (not the microwave) until crisp. Place bacon on paper towels to drain. Set aside.
3. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat out of the pan.
4. Add the shallots to the sauté pan with the remaining bacon fat and sauté until translucent.
5. Cook beans in a 4-quart saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. The exact timing depends on the size of the beans, so test them. You want them to still be firm to the bite with a bit of crunch.
6. Drain well in a colander.
7. Crumble the bacon into bits
8. Transfer to a serving bowl. Add the shallots and the bacon. Toss gently and serve.