Green Beans with Bacon & Shallots
Recipe by Anna Gill
1½ lb. green beans, trimmed and cut diagonally into 2 to 3 -inch pieces
3 slices bacon
3 tablespoons shallots, minced
1. Set a large pot of salted water on medium high heat to bring to a boil.
2. Meanwhile cook the bacon slices in a sauté pan (not the microwave) until crisp. Place bacon on paper towels to drain. Set aside.
3. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat out of the pan.
4. Add the shallots to the sauté pan with the remaining bacon fat and sauté until translucent.
5. Cook beans in a 4-quart saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. The exact timing depends on the size of the beans, so test them. You want them to still be firm to the bite with a bit of crunch.
6. Drain well in a colander.
7. Crumble the bacon into bits
8. Transfer to a serving bowl. Add the shallots and the bacon. Toss gently and serve.
Leave a Reply.
We post a new recipe (or two!) each week, and you can click on an item below to see all past recipes that feature that ingredient.
For more recipes from CT farmers' markets click here.
The NY Times also has a Recipe Generator to help you come up with great meals to make based on what you get at the market each week.