8 to 10 large golden beets, roasted, peeled and chopped
1-2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons flour
4 large eggs, whisked and blended
1 cup hot, whole milk
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon minced basil
1 tablespoon minced chives
Beet, fennel or rainbow microgreens for garnish
6 -6 ounce ramekins
Roasting pan large enough to hold all six ramekins
2 quarts of hot water at the ready
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease each ramekin well with the softened butter. Set aside.
- Place beets in a blender with a splash of the milk. Pureé until completely smooth.
- Pour the whisked eggs and the remaining hot milk into a small saucepan. Whisk while bringing to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat and add the flour, whisking briskly.
- Add the egg, milk and flour mixture to the blender and blend with the beets.
- Distribute the beet batter into the prepared ramekins evenly.
- Place the filled ramekins into the roasting pan.
- Place the roasting pan on an oven rack that has been extended outward. Pour in enough hot water to reach approximately half way up the outsides of the ramekins. Push the entire roasting pan carefully back into place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove the roasting pan from the oven and the ramekins from the pan. Allow the flans to cool a bit before unmolding.
- Garnish and serve.
- Place a room temperature slice of feta cheese atop the warm flan.
- Use ricotta or cream instead of milk or cream.
- Vary the internal herbs and the garnishes.