Serves 8 to 10
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan, at room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for your fingers
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup sugar, plus 1½ tablespoons
1 large egg, slightly beaten
4 to 5 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced into ½ inch slices
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ cup peach jam
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 Whipped cream (optional)
Special Equipment: 11-inch, removable bottom tart pan
1. Heat oven to 350° F.
2. Butter a 11-inch, removable bottom tart pan and set aside.
3. Combine the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
4. Cream the butter and ½ cup sugar at high speed in the large bowl of an electric mixer.
5. Lower speed to medium, add the egg, and beat until incorporated.
6. Gradually add the flour mixture until fully incorporated. The dough will be very soft.
7. Push the dough into the pan with floured fingers to form an even crust.
8. Arrange the peach slices, starting on the outside, in overlapping in successive concentric circles.
9. Sprinkle the top with the cinnamon and the remaining sugar.
10. Bake until the crust is golden brown, approximately 45 minutes; let cool.
11. Heat the peach jam and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, mixing until combined. Remove from heat and brush gently over the entire tart. Let the jam mixture is cool and set.
12. Serve with the whipped cream, if desired.