1 lb. dried fettuccine
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. butternut squash or pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded, cubed 1”X 1”
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine (or increase the broth to 2 cups)
1 cup fresh ricotta
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
¼ cup pine nuts
¼ cup finely minced fresh parsley
1. Bring a large, covered pot of salted water to boil.
2. Heat extra virgin olive oil in the frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook gently for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the pumpkin and cook over medium- high heat, tossing frequently, for 6-8 minutes.
4. Add the chicken broth and the wine. Mix and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer over medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes or until the squash is tender but still firm to the bite.
5. Add the poppy seeds. Toss and set the entire mixture aside.
6. Cook fettuccine in the boiling water until it too is tender but still al dente. Reserve ½ cup pasta liquid. Drain well.
7. Add the ricotta to the sauce and blend.
8. If necessary for sufficient moisture, add the pasta water to the squash mixture, mixing gently.
9. Divide the drained fettuccine among warm serving bowls, top with the pumpkin and sprinkle with the pine nuts and parsley.