Serves: 6 to 8
3½ - 4 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled, cut into ? inch slices
5 tablespoons of softened butter, divided
2 large shallots, minced
1 cup cream
1 cup whole milk
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon fresh black pepper
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1½ cups freshly grated artisanal Cheddar Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375º.
2. Generously grease a large casserole dish or baking pan with 2 tablespoons of the softened butter.
3. Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a large sautè pan. Add the minced shallots and cook until the shallots are translucent.
4. Add the salt and pepper, mix well. Remove the pan from the heat.
5. Slowly add ½ of the cream while stirring. When the butter, shallot and cream have been well blended, add the remaining cream and mustard. Repeat the blending process.
6. Return the pan to a low heat. Continuing to stir, add the milk slowly. Allow the mixture to thicken a bit, then remove the pan from the heat.
7. Arrange the potato slices in a circular or oval process until the bottom of the casserole dish is covered.
8. Distribute a couple of large spoonfuls of the shallot cream mixture over the potato layer. Sprinkle generously with the grated cheddar.
9. Repeat the layers until all the preparations have been distributed in the casserole dish.
10.Cover the dish with aluminum foil and crimp the foil around the edges.
11.Slide the casserole into the heated oven and cook for about 40 minutes until the potatoes are tender and offer no resistance to a toothpick.