1 9 inch pie crust, pre-baked
1 teaspoon un-flavored gelatin
1 tablespoon water
1 cup milk
2 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ cup cold water
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon brandy or dark rum
1 cup heavy cream
Grated nutmeg (for garnish)
1. Soften gelatin in 1 tablespoon cold water. Set aside.
2. Scald milk in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Dissolve cornstarch in ¼ cup cold water and stir into scalded milk. Then add sugar, salt and beaten egg yolks.
3. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar has completely dissolved, about 15 minutes.
4. Add softened gelatin and stir until gelatin has been dissolved. Add butter, vanilla essence and liquor and mix well.
5. Cool completely.
6. Beat heavy cream until stiff.
7. Fold into filling and pour into the cooled pie shell.
8. Garnish with freshly-grated nutmeg and refrigerate until serving time.