5 medium turnips (about 2 lbs)
1.5 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 large onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper (or to taste)
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup shredded carrot
2 Tablespoons thinly sliced scallion greens
2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
1. Peel and thinly slice turnips.
2. Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until
beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the turnips, rosemary, salt and white pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for 10
4. Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until turnips are
tender, 10-12 minutes more.
5. Meanwhile, if using topping, in a medium bowl toss the car5rot, scallion greens and vinegar with 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
6. Once turnips are tender, puree the soup until smooth in the pan with an immersion blender or transfer to a regular
7. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with salad, if using.