Cranberry Walnut Tart
Recipe by Anna Gill
Makes one 10 inch tart
For the shell:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 stick (½ cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
1 large egg yolk, beaten with
1½ tablespoons hyper cold vodka
For the filling:
3 large eggs
2/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
½ stick (¼ cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¼ cups chopped cranberries
1 cup chopped walnuts
Make the shell:
1. Preheat oven to 425o.
2. In a processor mix together the flour, the sugar, and the salt. Add the butter and process the mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add the yolk mixture, toss the mixture until the liquid is incorporated.
3. Form the dough into a flat round disc. Dust the dough with flour and chill it, wrapped in plastic wrap, for 1 hour.
4. Roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick on a floured surface.
5. Fit dough into a 10-or 11-inch round tart pan with a removable fluted rim, and chill the shell for 30 minutes.
6. Line the shell with foil, fill the foil with the weights, and bake the shell in the lower third of oven for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and rice carefully, bake the shell for 5 minutes more, or until it is pale golden and let it cool in the pan on a rack.
Make the filling:
1. Lower oven temperature to 350o.
2. In a bowl whisk together the eggs, the brown sugar, the syrup, the butter, the salt, and the vanilla until the mixture is smooth and stir in the cranberries and the walnuts.
3. Pour the filling into the shell, bake the tart in the middle of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until it is golden, and let it cool completely on a rack.
4. Remove the rim of the pan and slide the tart onto a serving plate.
The tart may be made 1 day in advance and kept, covered, at room temperature.
Leave a Reply.
We post a new recipe (or two!) each week, and you can click on an item below to see all past recipes that feature that ingredient.
For more recipes from CT farmers' markets click here.
The NY Times also has a Recipe Generator to help you come up with great meals to make based on what you get at the market each week.